Family photo

Family photo

8/31/2012

A Golden Celebration!

Last Friday night, we went to one of the coolest things ever. Golden days: A Celebration of Life

Let me back up. Sometime in June my mom emailed me and told me I could put into a drawing for President Monson's birthday celebration. So of course, I went to the church website and entered in. The winners would be picked July 5 or something. I was under the impression that I'd be getting an email if I won the tickets and when no email came I was a little disappointed. A few days later, I got a little envelope in the mail. Well, Mike got an envelope in the mail from the church. I started shaking and my heart started pounding as I tore open the envelope. It was what I thought it was! Tickets!! HOORAY!! I ran in to the computer room and told Mike, while jumping up and down. I was so excited! I hurried and called my mom (because I had asked for 4 tickets and I told her if I got them and she didn't she could go with us!) and she was just as excited as I was. All the way from the beginning of July to mid August every time I talked to my mom on the phone we would talk about how excited we were for 85th birthday celebration for President Monson. I even skipped the yearly family Windrivers trip so I could go to this! Finally, the day came.


I was sooo excited! A little before 5 I left and went down to meet Mike at his work. Once he came out of work we walked to the car and parked it in a parking garage where I had a free pass. We then walked down to the Macaroni Grill. Side note: I had the worst ear ache ever. No joke. Worst ear ache/infection I've ever had. It hurt when I talked, when I chewed food, and I couldn't open my mouth all the way because I think the muscle or tube or whatever from my ear and down my neck was really swollen. Also, it hurt when I would walk because apparently my head bobbles. Not really, but it hurt when I walked, too. Lovely. Anyway, we went to the Macaroni Grill and my lovely parents met us there. My mom looked very pretty in her cute outfit with her purple shirt. Anyway, my mom ordered chicken under a brick, Mike ordered a salad and some shrimp stuff and I think my dad got a salad too. I didn't get anything because my ear hurt sooo bad. I did eat a little of Mike's salad and some bread though. We ate and talked and had a wonderful time visiting. Then the waitress asked if we wanted a box, and I wanted a box for the loaf of bread that we hadn't eaten, but I didn't want to say that so my mom said that yes we wanted a box. The girl ended up getting a box and scraping my mom's chicken left overs into the box. My mom had like one potato and a little chicken skin left. Hilarious. So then we paid and when we left we just put the bread in the bag with the chicken stuff. Haha. We dropped the food off at the car and headed on our way! On the way there my dad spotted a distressed woman. Her car tire had popped. My dad, being the good Samaritan and outstanding example that he is, stopped to give her a hand. In his suit. What a great guy. Seriously. Well my mom and I are in skirts and the boys looked like they had it handled, so I left two tickets with Mike and my mom and I took off! We got to the conference center and stood in line. There was a big line! I mean.. of course there was it was the birthday celebration for President Monson. 85 years. YEEEAAARS! Holy moly. We finally got in and found some seats. Then we waited. The men showed up just as President Monson walked in. After everyone sat down they came and sat by us. FINALLY the night started! It was amazing! The choir performed and they had special guest singers. And these weren't just picked up off the street or off American Idol singers. No no. They were from BROADWAY. And other places like Broadway... like the Opera. It was amazing. My favorite pieces were 76 Trombones, All I Ask of You, and You Raise Me Up. But I think my two favorites were 76 Trombones and All I Ask of You. I don't think I can pick a favorite of those two. The music was absolutely beautiful. The orchestra did an amazing job. I loved the music. And all of the people that had clips or spoke of President Monson were so sweet! What a great man. 76 Trombones was a really fun, and the Orchestra did amazing! I loved it. All I Ask of You is one of my all time favorite songs from Phantom of the Opera, and Rebecca Luker knocked it right out of the water. Ho-ly COW! It was an amazing night. I was so happy I won tickets and I could spend the night with some of my most favorite people.

The opening prayer was really long. So long that Mike said, "Do you think he's ever eaten a warm dinner?" Haha!

What a great night.

No comments: